This is my attempt to create a decent Ragù in a little over an hour. There are some short cuts, but for someone looking for a sauce recipe that's better then what comes out of a jar and is quicker then a full blown sunday gravy this is rather good. This is the first time I've attempted to measure everything as I go, but I hope it's enjoyable to you.
2 Lb. Chuck Chopped
1 lb. Ground Pork
1 Lb. Italian Sausage (Sweet or Hot depending on taste)
3 tbs. EVOO
1 Garlic Clove
1 Medium Sized Spanish onion or yellow onion
1 Green Pepper
1 Large Carrot
1 Celery Stalk
2 Cups Peas
1 Tbs Rosemary
1 Tbs Oregano
1 Tbs Basil
Salt and Fresh Ground Pepper to taste
4 16oz Cans Stewed Tomatoes
2 16oz Cans Tomato Sauce (Plain Tomato Sauce, Not Spaghetti Sauce)
How To Make it
1) Dice the soffritto (Garlic, Onion, Green Pepper, Carrot and Celery). I prefer to leave it chunky but chop it as fine as you want. (Yes, I know that Green Pepper doesn't belong in a soffritto, blame it on my German / Irish ancestry)
2) Put a heavy pot on the stove, Add 2 tbs. of EVOO coating the bottom of the pot, heat over high-medium heat
3) Brown the sausage and remove. It's OK if the Sausage is not cooked all the way through yet. Slice the sausage.
4) Reduce pan to medium heat, add the rest of the EVOO
5) Add the soffritto stir for a couple of minutes until the onions begin to turn pale gold.
6) Return pan to medium-high heat.
7) Add and Brown the other meats.
8) Drain some of the grease.
9) Re-add sliced sausage to pot.
10) Sprinkle with Rosemary, Oregano & Basil & Salt and Pepper.
11) Add Peas.
12) Add Stewed Tomatoes & Tomato Sauce to Pot, Bring Mixture to a boil.
13) Lower heat and Simmer for an hour, stirring occasionally.
14) Sauce should be "thick" with meat and vegetables.
15) Serve over pasta.
Share and Enjoy.
If you don't have a well stocked spice rack, I have found that about 4 Tbs. of Mrs. Dash Italian Medley is a good substitute. Of course, if you have the time stewing your own tomatoes is preferable but the goal is to knock this out in under an hour and a half.
Be bold with vegetables. I've used snap peas, string beans, mushrooms, zucchini, summer squash.
For a healthier option replace the Beef, Pork and Sausage w/ ground turkey, chicken and turkey sausage. Also veal, lamb and porkchops are options for the meat.