An old friend of mine asked me to post this... Nice and simple chicken soup
2 small onions or 1 large, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 large carrots or 6 baby carrots, sliced
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon sage
3 pounds whole broiler/fryer chicken
4 cups chicken stock
1. Place all ingredients in slow cooker in the order listed.
2. Cover and cook on low setting for 8 to 10 hours (or high 4 to 6 hours). If liquid begins to boil, reduce heat to lower setting.
3. One hour before serving, remove chicken and allow to cool for 20 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Remove chicken from bones and return meat to slow cooker.
4. Cover and cook the additional hour.
5. Share and Enjoy!
1. Add 1/3 cup long cook rice at step 2
2. Set aside half of the spices and add at step 2
3. If you don't have stock handy, use 4 cups of water with 2 tsp Better Than Bouillon or 2 Bouillon cubes (opt for the lower sodium versions)
4. Add peas or other vegetables.